About Bob Tracy

I was born in Houston, on the North Side, where I spent my early childhood at 2001 Chestnut Street. I attended Lamar Elementary until until just after WWII when my parents built a house on five acres "out in the country" on Ley Road. I finished my elementary education at Houston Gardens Elementary and bussed into John Marshall Junior High and Jefferson Davis Senior High.

In 1955, shortly after graduation from high school, I joined the U.S. Army and went to Ft. Carson, Colorado for Basic Infantry Training. I had enlisted into a specific organization so, after basic training, I was shipped to the Army Security Agency (ASA) school at Ft. Devens, Massachusetts where I was trained to be a High Speed Morse Intercept Operator (MOS 058). After graduation from the school, I was assigned to Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea for the remainder of my enlistment.

I returned to Houston in 1958 and went to work for Busacker Electronics, initially as a Buyer but eventually became a salesman in the Amateur Radio Department. It was during this period that I met and married Grace Sarvis, a professional musician with the Houston Symphony Orchestra. We bought a small house on La Paseo, near Telephone Road and Dixie Drive where we lived and raised kids until 1969. I attended night classes at the University of Houston for several years, got to junior level but never graduated. In 1964 I was offered, and accepted, a job with North American Aviation, at the Manned Spacecraft Center. I worked for North American, on the Apollo Program, until 1969 when I accepted a position with Tracor Aerospace in Austin.

We bought a nice home on McElroy Street in Austin and I started my career at Tracor. Grace continued her career by winning a position with the Austin Symphony Orchestra. One of my coworkers at Tracor was selling real estate on the side and conned me into looking at land "way out in the Hill Country". We ended up buying a five acre tract between Wimberley and Driftwood, initially a place to go on weekends but with the idea of building there eventually. We sold our house in Austin and moved to Driftwood in October, 1975. We lived in a 12 X 60 mobile home that was "temporary" until we could build. "Temporary" turned out to be a long time - we built a permanent home, in 1985, where we live to this day.

I was laid off from Tracor in 1995, after 26 years of service, and went to work for Harris-Farinon in San Antonio the next day. I worked for Harris until my retirement in 2001. I did some consulting and software development for a few years, just to keep active but decided to really hang it up by the end of 2017 when I will have reached the ripe old age of 81.

Our kids are all grown and have presented us with grandkids and great grandkids. Our oldest, Beth, has a Masters in Nursing and teaches Nursing at a college in El Paso. Our son Phillip spent 20 years on submarines in the Navy, retired, and got a BS in Computer Science from Texas State. He currently is working in Tampa. Edith, our baby, homeschooled two of her three kids and then graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in Teaching (Math and Science) and taught in public schools for several years.

We live comfortably on our five acres between Driftwood and Wimberley with just our cat, Samantha. Grace is active in her church and I do whatever turns my crank at the moment. Life is good!